2010 was a pretty good year for me. 2010 was my first year entering the world as an ultra runner and increasing my mileage. I would have to say that going into my first ultra, I was very nervous. I enjoy running, but the distance (only a 50K) really scared me the night before. Fortunately, I was able to get up the next morning and have a great run.
The first ultra and race of the year was the LT J.C. Stone 50K at North Park just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. This is a great road course, but it is 6 loops of a 5 mile course. I was concerned that this would be a horrible day. I felt great, made some new friends, and really surpassed my hope of finishing under 5 hours. I finished this race in 4:21:05. What a great start to the year and what a great first ultra finish. And by the way, this ultra boasts the biggest medal in the ultra world and two tech shirts.
I continued the year pounding out miles on the roads and the trails. I hit up some awesome trail races and really got comfortable running 20+ miles every Saturday.
Here is a review of the races for 2010:
1. 3-20-2010: Lt. JC Stone 50K- 4:21:05
2. 5-2-2010: Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:45:14 (not a bad run although had a really bad sinus infection)
3. 5-23-2010: Blair County Family Services 10k - 43:24
4. 6-5-2010: Rothrock Trail Challenge 30K - 4:36 - This group puts on one hell of a nasty series of runs!!!!
5. 6-27-2010: Tussey Teaser #5 - 10.6 miles - 1:38:13 - Great prep for the Tussey Mountainback 50 mile Ultra
6. 7-4-2010: Hollidaysburg YMCA July 4th 15K - 1:08:52 (nice hot and humid morning in Central PA)
7. 7-25-2010: Run with the Deer Flies 25K Trail Race - 2:57:44 - This is a great race, but the race doesn't start until the last 10k. And yes, you will get eaten by Deer Flies. OUCH!!!
8. 8-21-2010: Central PA Run For the Fallen: 20 miles in 2:40:35 - Great run to log miles for the fallen soldiers.
9. 9-11-2010: Curwensville Dam Scramble 30K Trail Race - This ended up being 21 miles total - just a tad longer than advertised, but a great race - 3:57:00 - 3rd Overall
10. 9-19-2010: Dam Full Trail Marathon - 5:06 - Awesome trail race at R.B. Winter State Park near Lock Haven, Pa.
11. 10-2-2010: Bald Eagle Megatransect - 26.4 miles of incredible trails - 5:47. This is a must do race for any trail runner. This is one of the hardest courses I have ever done. Great boulder field scramble, great trails, and great friends.
12. 10-16-2010: Tussey Mountainback 50 mile Ultra - 8:31:49. Great course, minus the relay teams.
All in all, 2010 was a great year of racing. I will have to say that I am really happy with my finish at Tussey. I finished 16th overall in the USATF 50 mile championships. I surely can't complain about that for my first year of running ultras. I also did a bunch of local races in distances from 5k to 15k. I finished pretty well all year long. I am hoping that 2011 turns out to be an even better year. As of right now, I have already completed the 2011 Frozen Sasquatch 50K in Charleston, WV and the JC Stone 50K is approaching quickly.